Friday, January 18, 2008

at shutter speed.

i have a date. in a little under one hour i embark on a journey millions before me did years ago. i'm finally buying a digital camera. i'm already years behind, and, honestly, months behind when i said i would originally grab the thing. i'm not sure why i waited so long. laziness? probably. sometimes in my life i have to wait to have the one that seduces me into investing. i mean, think about it. as i search around the stores, i'm speed-dating different digital cameras.

one might impress me with its skills. others, the sleek design. if it's tiny, it wins cute bonus points. and nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than something red. wow, that's a way to win my heart. sure, i've looked around on the internet. i even interviewed friends who already found their camera mate. you think i would have taken good notes. or jotted a useful fact. nope. why? because i know me. i'll wander around that store, and i'll wait. i'll wait for something to jump out at me, screaming that it's the one. i'll place it in my hands, hold it, play with it's buttons. i'll check myself out in the mirror. let's face it, the camera has to compliment my style.

and no matter what a camera pimp tries to do, the chemistry between me and the metal will decide the victor. unlike some friends, i won't name this device. we're not that close. but this will be one of the more important relationships of my life. i will take it on trips. it will spend time with some of my closest friends and family. it will capture the moments i'll relish to relive. or scratch my head in defeat, asking "what was i thinking?" we'll head to different states, bars, countries, altitudes. we'll witness impeccable beauty and human disgust. we'll document everything we see.

gee, this sounds like i'm getting married. maybe i need counseling.

No comments: